Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Worlds apart.... just like the earth, just like the sun


Broadway musicals were always an important part of my life.  There was a time I knew the lyrics to almost every song from every current musical.  In many ways the songs guided my life and told part of my life story at the same time telling the stories of the characters in the play. Like many songs, especially if not listened to frequently or for an extended period of time, I would sing lyrics that are somewhat similar to those intended but not the same.  Eventually my lyrics would stay with me forever and replace the original lyrics, even when I knew better.

A song from Big River The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1985) is such a song.  “Worlds Apart” plays clearly and frequently in my mind as an example of my unintended adaptation.

For example, the songs starts with the lyrics, “I see the same stars from my window that you see through yours, but we’re worlds apart” but for whatever reason I sing, “I see the same moon with my eyes that you see with yours, but we’re worlds apart.”  I love my lyrics and for decades they have traveled with me from living in NYC to Ohio to Wisconsin and now Illinois. Wherever I live it is hard for me to look at the moon without thinking of the song and the messages it carries.

My son and I saw the play, more than once, he loved the play. When we went to the play the first time was only six years.  At home we played the album, yes, album, all the time and played the cassette tape; yes cassette tape, when we traveled on our long car trips.  We knew the songs well and had a nice connection to each other through the music.

 A year after we saw the play the fist time we moved from NYC to Ohio.  The second summer after we moved my son started to attend a sleep away camp. He attended the same camp all the way through elementary school and middle school and then during high school he became a camp counselor.  At night when I would be outside and see the moon I would sing “I see the same moon with my eyes that you see yours” and think that even though we were not together I knew the moon connected us. So the song and the moon provided me a level of comfort.

Now almost every time when I look at the moon – many years later – I think many wonderful things. When I get out of the car after an evening class and walk from the garage to the house or when I am walking the dogs and look at the moon, I sing to myself, “I see the same moon with my eyes that you see with yours ... Einstein, the Dalia Lama, Lincoln, Rose Parks, John Lennon, Martin Luther King Junior, President Obama, my parents, my grandparents, my great grandparents, each of you and all the young adolescents and middle level teachers in the world.”  No matter where in the world  - no matter when in time, we all see or saw the same moon.  WOW!  Talk about a ponder!

In 1961 President Kennedy announced to Congress his impossible dream of sending an American safely to the moon before the end of the decade.  To most it seemed like President Kennedy was dreaming the impossible dream (opps, lyrics from another Broadway musical song).  In July 1969 both Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin left their footprints on the moon.  We accomplished the impossible dream.  WOW – talk about another ponder – to think that people walked on the moon, the very moon that my eyes, your eyes and eyes from all over the world and throughout time see or have seen.  At that moment in history the moon yielded power –I remember the event well – it was one of those “where were you when” moments.

 The moon does not get much attention now and it has been relegated to the back seat over time until something really cool happens like the Supermoon we had this June, a lunar eclipse, or a harvest moon.  But for me when the sun goes down and the moon comes up – I see magic and wonder - I see magic every night I see the moon. I see its connectedness to time, space, people and events. I see its oneness to everyone and everything.  I think it is unfortunate that the moon is taken for granted when it has so much unifying power.

Of course my experiences connected to the moon may be similar to others’ experiences connected to the stars and skies, the real lyrics in the song. However, I think the skies have variations and that people don’t see the same skies – although Jimi Hendric’s 1967 lyric from Purple Haze.  “Excuse me, while I kiss the sky, “ is pretty cool. 

Join me on my Broadway memory. Read the lyrics below and watch a link to a video production of the song and then share what does the magic, power, connectedness, and oneness expressed in this song mean to you, as a teacher.  Post your response on my blog, then cut, paste, and also post your response on your blog. 

Enjoy

Worlds Apart 
JIM:
I see the same stars through my window
That you see through yours
But we're worlds apart
Worlds apart
And I see the same skies through brown eyes
That you see through blue
But we're worlds apart, worlds apart
Just like the earth, just like the sun
Two worlds together are better than one
I see the sun rise in your eyes
That you see in mine
But we're worlds apart, worlds apart

HUCK:
I see the same stars through my window
That you see through yours
But we're worlds apart, worlds apart

BOTH:
And you see the same skies through brown eyes
That I see through blue
But we're worlds apart, worlds apart
Just like the earth, just like the sun
Two worlds together are better than one
I see the friendship in you eyes
That you see in mine
But we're worlds apart, worlds apart
Together, but worlds apart
And a mockingbird sings in an ol' yonder tree
Twaddle-ee ah dee dee dah dee dee dee



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkc5ZL2jHQw

A short trailer of the play

13 comments:

Sara Pess said...

A Broadway and musical lover myself, I had never heard “Worlds Apart” from Big River The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1985). The lyrics themselves contain so much meaning, heart, and truth in them. When I watched the video production I felt as though the lyrics were intensified. Seeing the actor’s expression and emotions brought the lyrics to life in a different way than just hearing them.

I interpreted “Worlds Apart” as a dialogue between a student and a teacher. While we may see the same things that our students do: the sun, the moon, the news, we interpret them differently. We all come from different generations, and those generations can be worlds apart both figuratively and literally. The experiences from our childhood that help mold and shape us, may be very different than the experiences our students have. But, at a high level we too went to a school, played on a playground, etc. We share many similar experiences, but the journey to which we reach them is completely different.

I also interpreted “worlds apart” as a way to say you don’t understand me. Often times, children, especially middle schoolers say “But you just don’t understand!” And we probably don’t because we aren’t living life in their shoes, with their obstacles, with their hardships. These lyrics really remind us teachers, to stop and try and walk through life from our students’ perspective. It awakens us to learn about the things that are important to them, and the struggles they are facing. The more we know about our students (their home life, their interests & passions), the better teachers we will be.

Pat McG said...

The middle school students that we teach will be very different from ourselves. They will have different ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds. They will have had different life experiences. However, we are all here on the same planet and we all can make connections to one and other. We, as teachers, need to find ways to connect to our students. Sometimes it may seem impossible to find that connection. We may need to try different approaches. But in the long run both student and teacher will benefit from this connection.

Mr. A's Blog said...

From one avid Broadway lover to another, I couldn’t be more excited to join you on your Broadway memory. I believe the power of live theatre can be extraordinary and a truly creative way to spark discussions about important and touchy subjects in today’s society (Hello “Book of Mormon,” I’m talking to you) (← that also wasn’t a bash against “Book of Mormon,” I think that show is brilliant).
That being said, I’ve never seen or listened to the music from Big River The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It was exciting to read, see, and listen to the song “Worlds Apart” and ponder how it connects to my life, as an individual and as a future teacher.
Middle school and being a young adolescent in general is a truly powerful, and a lot of the times difficult, time in a person’s life. The amount of changes (physical, intellectual, emotional, social, spiritual) that a young adolescent experiences during middle school can alter and shape who they ultimately become as a person. But what I think we as teachers, and adults, tend to forget is that WE WENT THROUGH THIS TOO.
The song “Worlds Apart” can be taken literal, as two people are literally worlds apart (or living in separate places, I should say). However, as I tried to connect it to my life as a teacher, I took it more metaphorically. We, as teachers, “see the same stars through [our] window / That you see through yours / But we’re worlds apart / Worlds apart.” I believe all too often, teachers forget what it is like to be a young adolescent and how trying the changes they are going through can be. How physical looks are extremely important, how spiritual views are often challenged, how social cliques can be vicious and how, more often than we would like to admit, many young adolescents feel alone….
Which got me thinking. One of my favorite shows of all time is Stephen Sondheim’s Into the Woods (1987). I have had the pleasure of performing in this show three times in my life so far (once in middle school, twice in high school) and hope to perform in it many more times. On the surface level, Into the Woods takes some of our favorite stories from our childhood (Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, etc.) and mish-moshes them together. But if you really take a moment and listen to the beautifully written music and lyrics, it’s all about life. The trials, the tribulations, the good, the bad, the happy, the sad, the confusion, the clarity, and the (sometimes traumatic) issues people face in our world and how we deal with them.
One song in particular struck a chord with me called “No One is Alone.” I don’t want to give too much away if you haven’t seen the show (and if you haven’t, go and see it right now) but during the song, the two young adolescents (Little Red Riding Hood and Jack) have experienced trauma and are being consoled by their respective parent-like figures (Cinderella and the Baker). The song reminds us that no matter the troubles we are facing, no matter what card we are dealt; no one is alone (truly).
We, as teachers, are another source of authority to young adolescents. The problems they face, at the time, can truly affect their physical, intellectual, emotional, social, or spiritual wellbeing. If we can provide the same feeling of comfort and safety as Cinderella and the Baker do for Little Red Riding Hood and Jack by remembering what it was like to be their age and refusing to be “Worlds Apart”, then I believe a major part of our job is fulfilled.
Now go see a Broadway show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-3YJijA5Rw → video of “No One is Alone”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES2ut6L_l7c → trailer of Into the Woods

Ms. Bell said...

I completely understand your understanding and interpretation of this song and I appreciate it but I had a completely different interpretation. I think I have always been drawn to theatre for this very reason. Where you see the positive, connecting aspects of the moon, sky and stars, I see the sad and complex separation of people based on superficial things. I believe Jim and Huckleberry are sad because even though they live in the same world with the same stars, moon and sky they’re still worlds apart because of something superficial (skin color). I think this happens to everyone all across the world and especially in middle school. As teachers, this is something we need to be very sensitive to. I know from my own experience in middle school that there were people I wasn't “allowed” to be friends with because of silly things like how popular that person was or how rich they were.
These are things that permeate adulthood too. We all know it’s superficial and ridiculous but we still follow these “rules” most of the time or so I've observed. I think this has a lot to do with the proliferation of the poor girl gets the rich guy (or vice versa) in pop culture (ie. Cinderella stories). These rarely happen in real life because it’s not just about money, it’s about social classes and what people think of you and what is socially acceptable and etiquette levels of different classes and I could go on and on and on. We pretend that what people think of us doesn't matter but inherently it does. Consciously or subconsciously how we are perceived by others plays a vital role in our everyday lives even if we don’t want to believe it. I've always thought of myself as someone who marches to the beat of her own drum and doesn't care what people think of her but in believing that I also reveal that I, too, care what people think about me. I care that people think I don’t care what they think about me (that’s a tongue twister!). It’s important to be sensitive about this subject matter with middle school children because it is the first time in their lives that they are realizing that these prejudices and separations exist. I also think it’s our job as teachers to try and break this vicious cycle of caring about social status and the like.

TLSP said...




Two Worlds Apart



While reading the blog, Two World Apart….just like the earth, just like the sun from Imagine at Trudyhelen.blogspot.com, several memories became pictures in my head. Instead of changing the lyrics as Dr. Mee did; from the stars, skies, and sunrise to the moon, I view the stars and skies with similar thoughts that she has.



My life has been enriched by my vision of the western sky though my childhood, bedroom window and as a teen I viewed starry skies, while lying on the hood of the car and listening to music playing from the radio. I had many wonderful opportunities to see magnificent clouds, starry nights, and moon rises as a parent showing her children the wonders of our universe. I have spent the equivalent of days daydreaming and pondering with these vistas. I have been fortunate and hope that others have the same opportunities and viewpoints.



While the views may be from different locations, the thought that people are seeing them at the same time from varied places and times has been something that has intrigued me on more than one occasion. At this moment, all over the world, people are viewing the sky in diverse formats and weather. In my small suburban town, in a large urban area, people are enjoying brilliant blue skies with wispy clouds. Who are they? What are they thinking? Are they pondering the incredible dynamic of oneness verses diversity?



My wish as a new teacher is to engage the minds of my students to “wonder” at the universe and ponder the events that happened at the same time in different parts of the earth. As the Chinese were fighting the Mongolians, the Aztecs, Europeans and Africans were doing what? Now take look at today and see how technology has enabled us to almost know what is happening at this very moment in Egypt, France, South Africa and even California.



As my husband and I sat watching the Chicago Cubs yesterday, his phone vibrated with headlines about the Asiana Airlines flight 214 crash in San Francisco. We followed the updates as the day progressed and we felt alarm and fear, then empathy. I hope to awaken the student’s understanding of the power they will hold as they mature in our ever-shrinking universe. The lyrics of the song, Two Worlds Apart, are a possible gateway to instilling this knowledge.



In light of the events that are happening around the world, one must wonder if people realize that we are viewing the same universe at the same time. People with different history, culture, and status are here on earth together. We all have our different viewpoints, but we are all together and can learn from each other and learn to work and live together as we view the stars, skies, sun and moon.

Sandy said...

First of all let me comment on the idea of looking at the sky and the moon. One assignment that I like to give my students every year is to have them sketch the moon for at least two weeks. Ever since I started this activity two years ago, I have been a constant moon gazer. I like to look at the moon still. It is something that keeps me grounded.
As for the song, I think it is a nice song. To me it was talking about the different ways that each of them sees the world. In particular I think they see the world differently because of their difference in race.
This relates to our students because they will come to the class with their own opinions because of where they come from. All people want to be able to share their own experiences with others.
What I can do for my students is to create an atmosphere in the classroom where they can freely share their own opinions and experiences. I anticipate having a class that is based on discussions and opinions. In order to set up this type of classroom, I am going to need to set up rules that will encourage my students to speak freely.
I feel that a free sharing of ideas and experiences is essential to the learning process. That is why I want to have this type of classroom. I found this song a good representation of how two very different people can learn from each other. I hope that my students can and will learn from each other this year.

Christina said...

We are, as teachers, responsible for the education of our students. How we define that education is different across classrooms, schools, nations, and countries. However, in everyone of those places there are children/adolescents on an exploratory phenomenon. "Worlds Apart," makes you ponder about the access we have to those worlds. But more, about how our students can learn from those kids that seem "so far away." How they can CONNECT with them, without sitting right next to them in a classroom.


Reading/listening to "Worlds Apart", reminds me, that it is my responsibility as a teacher to connect those gaps. Whether they be the 5 feet across the hallway, or the 5000 miles over oceans. Young adults are so engulfed in their lives and other peoples'. Further, they are so attached to their digital self, that not using that developmental phase of their lives and technological innovation to our advantage is irresponsible. I think about the connections that twitter has made in the world of NEWS, not pop culture (though it has it's place in the classroom), we should be taking advantage of it. Or virtually seeing worlds we can't physically get to.


Worlds are no longer parted. How do we as teachers help adolescents responsibly go about bridging that gap and finding value in doing so?

Claire Marie said...

I loved reading your post, because I have always wholeheartedly agreed that the "unifying power" of the moon, as you put it, is completely underrated and under-utilized. The notion that we all see the same moon, regardless of geographical location or the era of time in which we live, is a powerful ponder.

This past spring in my sophomore English class, we were studying Chinese, West African and Latin American poetry, with each region moving from Ancient to more modern eras. I dubbed one day in class "Moon Day": the students began by free writing, writing 60-second poems and 6-word-stories on the moon. We then read an Ancient Chinese poem on the moon, Li Po's "Still Night Thoughts" side by side with a 20th Century Chinese poet's interpretation of the moon- Xu De-Min's "The Moon Rises Slowly Over the Ocean." I stressed the concept that you just described, namely that the two poets were looking at the exact same moon when crafting their poems, and that in turn it was the exact same moon that we see every night now, in Chicago in the year 2013. The students loved this idea, particularly as urban high-schoolers who didn't often take the time to appreciate the components of nature that they had access to.

I always tell people that I have a special connection to the moon because I was born under a full moon; my mother was in bed, looked up at the full moon out of her window, and her water broke. I have always paid special attention to the cycle of the moon, and always make sure I'm aware of when the full moon will fall each month. I was telling my students all of this when we did our "Moon Day" lesson this past year, and they were nothing short of skeptical. They jumped at the opportunity to make (well-intentioned) fun of me- "So does that make you a werewolf?"

In all seriousness, I encouraged my students to take some time to look at the moon that night. I think the act of moon-gazing brings a welcome moment of peace in their often over-scheduled lives. I felt sure that in their days and nights defined by facebook, twitter, instagram and beyond, doing a bit of pondering under the moon would have a calming effect.

On a final note, taking my post in a different direction, I think the educational power of music, particularly musicals, is worth exploring regardless of the grade or subject matter we teach. I religiously watched the first few seasons of Glee (especially as I prepared to enter the field of secondary education), and was always impressed by the show's ability to tackle tough issues through music for the target audience of middle-level and high school students. "Worlds Apart" likewise presents the racial subtext of Huck and Jim's relationship in an approachable way, inviting students to ease their way into a discussion that might be difficult to launch into without the help of song.

Rachel H. said...

When I was about 5 or 6, I remember one night being driven over to one of my best friend's house (who is STILL one of my best friends!)who lived on the opposite side of Evanston from me. When you're little, the other side of time seems like another part of the world. I remember staring outside of the car on this particular night and said to my dad something to the effect of "Hey, Dad, the moon is following us to Jessica's house!" My Dad simply responded that because we were in the car and moving quickly, that it appeared to be following us. Truth is of course, the moon isn't following me around, that it isn't MY moon, that it is for everyone to see and share. It's mystic qualities can be interpreted in many ways, just as it can be scientifically defined. In many ways, the moon is similar to education--there are pedagogies, methodologies,philosophies, psychological/physical benchmarks of learners--many "ologys" can fit under the umbrella of EDUCATION. Most often, however, the beauty, power, and magic of education don't have space under that umbrella.

When I think about the lyrics, it leaves all the "ologies" at the doorstep. I'm not minimalizing their importance, but giving credence to the importance of the student-teacher relationship. I, as a teacher, certainly don't have the same viewpoint of the world as my students, and vice-versa. They, too, don't necessarily have the same perspectives as their peers, because each true viewpoint is individual. However, we are all part of the educational experience. We may be "worlds apart" in our world views, ideologies, goals, race, religion, etc., but in a classroom where the teacher--me--respects and appreciates all students for what they can bring to the table, what I can take away from it, and how I can be an instrument in their educational process, then we all have the potential for learning and growth.

Unknown said...

"Worlds Apart" can be interpreted in so many ways. In a classroom, the differences between us can be so vast, and yet we are all on a learning journey together. A teacher can learn so much from his/her student. Each student can learn so much from the teacher. A male student can learn so much from his female classmate. A Christian student can learn so much from a Muslim student. A Muslim student can learn so much from a Mormon student. And so on.

The differences in religion, culture, race, gender, etc. can be divisive and yet the classroom is the perfect breeding ground for learning and bridging these "worlds apart." We can learn from each other in ways that go beyond the textbook. Lessons that we can carry for life.

Discussions and pondering can ignite openness and challenge us to break beliefs that we held so strongly. Information and education can bridge differences and teach us that we share a common ground. A ground that is far more alike than different.

Creative lesson plans can spark a curiosity that lead us to ponder this "world apart" and ignite interest that lead us to the "common ground.". As middle school students begin their own journey in discovering themselves and the world around them, it is an exciting privilege to take part in their learning.

As a student myself, I am very aware of the significant role that I may play in the life of a young student and am honored to travel the road of learning with them. This big, wide world is much less a "world apart." We all see the same moon.

kristen said...

"Two worlds together are better than one." This is the line that stuck out the most to me in the lyrics. The idea of synergy: the whole is greater than the sum of the parts is really significant to me as a teacher. When everyone in the education community brings their talents and special offerings in a genuine and organic way, real learning can happen. When everyone from administrators and teachers, to students and parents, to cafeteria workers and janitors commit to a positive learning environment, there is are limitless possibilities. An extremely strong teacher can only do so much when the administrators and parents don't support them fully;and visa versa.
When looking at these lyrics through an "education lense"
I think of all of us looking at the same moon as all of us wanting the same thing i our learning environment. As teachers, we need to do our part to contribute in a posiitve way to the environment of our school by honoring both what we all have in comon as well as by what makes each of us unique.

kristen said...

The line that really stuck out for me was “two worlds together are better than one.” The idea of togetherness is important in school. I feel that when everyone feels they are an integral part of a community, they feel more secure and able to be themselves. I have always liked the idea of synergy: The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Looking at all of this from the perspective of an educator, I like to think of the “whole” of the education environment as greater than the sum of its parts. When the administrators, community,parents,teachers,students,aids,janitors,office clerks, etc. all bring their unique talents and expertise to the table in a positive and authentic way, real learning can happen. When all of these “Parts” work TOGETHER, the whole is much greater than the sum of each individual part added together.

True Thoughts said...

Big River holds a special place in my heart. I'm not the avid theater lover that many here claim to be, but I have been lucky enough to see a handful of performances, including King Lear at the Globe in London and The Book of Mormon, Othello: The Remix, and The Lion King here in Chicago. Whatever appreciation I have for theater, though, started with Big River.
I attended a math and science magnet high school in Montgomery, Alabama, graduating in 1995. In 1992 (my sophomore year), the Alabama Shakespeare Festival performed Big River. My family couldn't afford to buy a ticket for me. When you're unable to pay rent, theater tickets have to take a far back seat. Luckily, the school has a pretty strong alumni network and parents of graduates will often stay involved in the school for years. Parents of a student I had never met bought my ticket and arranged transportation to allow me to attend the performance with my classmates.
"Worlds apart" for me, reminds me of those hard times in Alabama. I had the same abilities as any of my peers. My math, language, science reasoning, etc. was on par with any of them. We could all see and analyze the same subject matter to the same degree, but their lives were so much more full than mine, if only because they included things like Big River. Intellectually, we were equals. Socially, we were worlds apart.
That time I spent in Alabama still informs my life today. I haven't tried to hide the fact that I'm not a fan of new technologies. While most of my expressed reasons have to do with loss of privacy and control, a big part of my reluctance to incorporate lots of tech in my teaching has to do with access. In the schools and districts I would like to teach in, I expect to encounter students whose home lives were as difficult as mine, if not more so. I'd hate to lose those students' trust because I demanded something of them that they couldn't provide. Attendance at Big River in 1992 wasn't mandatory, but I wouldn't have nearly the same emotional connection to Huck Finn if I'd never seen it.